Historic Fore Bondgate in Bishop Auckland has a wide selection of independent businesses from crafts to florists, pubs to cafes.
The area known as Bondgate dates to the very beginnings of Bishop Auckland. It is named after the ‘bondsmen’ – labourers, bound by contract, who served the bishop. Shortly after Auckland Castle was established, a small settlement grew to the west of the bishop’s residence and Deer Park. By 1183, the Boldon Book reported that 22 villagers lived here, including a cobbler, a miller and a smith.
For centuries, Fore Bondgate was Bishop Auckland’s main shopping area, home to an eclectic mix of shops and public houses. Although, today, shops are more widely spread across the town, Fore Bondgate remains home to numerous independent businesses that keep the tradition of the area alive.
Keep up-to-date with what’s happening in Fore Bondgate by liking their Facebook page.
Copies of the flyers are available at many of the shops located in Fore Bondgate.